Saturday, September 13, 2008

Meme: Reasons for Blogging

I was tagged for this meme by Becca from The Inside Cover, and what a great way to spend some time on this windy, rainy Saturday (thankfully, Hurricane Ike did not affect Dallas nearly as negatively as was predicted, but I'm hoping everyone in the Galveston/Houston area is safe!)

First, the rules:
1. Write about 5 specific ways blogging has affected you, either positively or negatively.
2. Link back to the person who tagged you (and leave a comment on his/her blog after you do the tag).
3. Link back to this parent post.
4. Tag a few friends or five, or none at all (and inform them about it).
5. Post these rules— or just have fun breaking them.

Not to be a "glass half empty" type of gal, but I thought I would start with the ways blogging has negatively affected me. There are far fewer negatives than positives!

1. I spent A LOT of time at home on the computer. This is a negative because I sit in front of a computer all day long at work, so now I come home and sit in front of a computer as well. My poor eyes!
2. I spend too much money on books. I have developed a terrible addiction to buying books, even if I know I can't read them for a while.
3. My friends and family are now subjected to book/blog talk whether they like it or not. Even though I've always been a reader, I have never been as pumped up about books as I have been lately. I'm sure they all roll their eyes at me when I'm not looking.
4. Even though it is self-induced, sometimes I stress out a bit about finishing challenges, getting behind on reading or writing reviews, and how long it has been since I've posted anything.

Now for the positives!
1. I have been reading TONS more this year than in prior years.
2. Because of challenges, I have "forced" myself to read books I've had on my TBR list for years. Example--Uncle Tom's Cabin--thanks to the classics challenge, I finally read it, and am SO glad I did!
3. I have been reading more critically since I started blogging. When I am reading, I pay more attention to point of view, tone, diction, symbolism, etc., as well as interesting passages, so I can better write a review and discuss the books with others.
4. I have found others who share a love of all things literary. I used to think I was a weirdo because I didn't really know anyone else who liked to read as much as I did, and now--I know I'm DEFINITELY not alone!! It has been really fun "meeting" and "getting to know" other book bloggers!
5. When someone asks me for a book recommendation, I am much more prepared to give them some ideas.
6. Lastly--and this could either be a positive or negative, depending on how you look at it--I have a GIANT list of books that I want to read and I add more every week, based on all the wonderful reviews.

I'm not going to tag anyone specific, but please play along if you are so inclined!!

5 Comments:

Ana S. said...

My pros and cons would be pretty much the same as yours, Laura. And we have to admit that as far as cons go, it could be much worse :P

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yay for books! :) Yes, I spend way too much time in front of my computer as well. And sadly--sometimes more time blogging than actually reading! (like now).

But I agree with everything you've said. And you are NOT a weirdo!! I'm so glad that we talk about about books nonstop all day long. :)

And I spend way too much money on books also. I just got my amazon package with Ride the Wind and The Zookeeper's Wife (and another book to get the free shipping even though it probably ended up costing more). So excited for both--they are going to be very different from what I've been reading, I'm sure. :) Sorry for the long comment. Basically--yay for books!!

Jeane said...

My answers would echo yours pretty closely: more time on the computer, a vastly increasing tbr pile (is this pro or con?), more insightful & careful reading, etc. I love book blogging!

CJ said...

Great list. I've got my own to do and I've been working on it in my head. I guess I should try to get it out, huh?

cjh

Literary Feline said...

I am so glad that the hurricane has not impacted you as badly as expected.

Your list could have been my own, especially those negatives! I realized while we were out and about today that I still had birthday money in my pocket, so off to the bookstore we went. I definitely spend more money on books!

I think the only place where we differ is in the amount of books I have been reading. I don't think that has changed as a result of blogging.