Friday, April 10, 2009

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran


From the back cover:
"Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler's heretical desire to forsake Egypt's ancient gods.

From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husband's rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will for Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear."

After reading many rave reviews of this book, I knew I wanted to read it. I was NOT disappointed at all! I loved Mutnodjmet (Mutny for short), as she was kind and loyal to her beautiful, powerful sister, yet she did not compromise her integrity. Even in the tumultuous political environment Mutny was forced to live in, though she would have much rather lived in a quite town away from all the drama, she never was sucked into the power-seeking games that most of the royal court was involved in. The story was intriguing and engaging, and I had a difficult time putting the book down. Nefertiti reminded me of The Other Boleyn Girl, but without the soap-opera feel. Two sisters--one beautiful and ambitious, the other more plain and shy--both involved in two families' struggle for the throne...sounds familiar, right? It makes me wonder how often this situation has occurred throughout history, and in how many different countries?

I highly recommend Nefertiti to those who love historical fiction, a strong heroine, or are simply looking for a book that you can't put down! I am waiting excitedly for Michelle Moran's follow-up novel, The Heretic Queen, to be released in paperback.

Date completed: March 2009
Number of pages: 480

7 Comments:

Darlene said...

I'm so glad you liked this book Laura. I did too, it was one of my favorites of last year. The Heretic Queen is really good too. I'm anxiously awaiting Michelle's next novel.

Karen said...

I've heard lots of good things about this book but haven't read it myself as yet. I like how you have described it as like The Other Boleyn Girl but without the soap opera!

Literary Feline said...

i am glad you enjoyed this one, Laura! I really liked it too. I had been a little worried because so many had compared it to The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory which I wasn't impressed by. Fortunately, I ended up loving Nefertiti. I adored Mutny. Great review.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I need to read this book. Somehow I've got to figure out how to fit it in otherwise I'm gonna be saying I need to read it for another year. Are you going to get Heretic Queen when it comes out in paperback?

Shelley said...

I loved this one! I can't wait to read The Heretic Queen.

Michelle said...

I am in the middle of reading this book now, so I really loved this review. I am enjoying this book a lot too....

Anna said...

I'm glad to hear you loved this book as much as I did. Moran is an excellent writer.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric