Wednesday, April 15, 2009

READ-A-THON!!


Well it's no secret that in just 2 short days, the next 24-Hour Read-a-Thon will commence, and I could not possibly be more excited!! This will be my second read-a-thon to participate in, and I am armed and ready with books, snacks, a handy spreadsheet, and plans to meet 2 other friends, who are also participating, for a late dinner at IHOP.

First of all, if you haven't heard much about the read-a-thon, please visit the FAQ page. It will be starting at 1 GMT on April 18th, which for me translates to 7:00 am on Saturday morning. I really want to read and blog for the full 24 hours, so hopefully I can hang in there in those wee morning hours! I would like to read 1000 pages, though that may be pushing it a bit. I have decided to donate $.05 per page to First Book, and there are others participating who are also donating to causes close to their hearts. See this link for a list of charities and organizations that are suggested, but of course there are MANY more out there!

Last night, I spent some "quality time" with my books, and I have pulled a few off my shelves specifically for the read-a-thon. I know I definitely won't get to all of them, but here are the ones I have to choose from:

Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
Matrimony by Joshua Henkin
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Fire in the Blood by Irene Nemirovsky
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
(I will probably be finishing My Antonia by Willa Cather to start with).

Equally as important to me are my snacks! I stopped at the grocery store tonight and I bought gummy bears, cheddar Chex mix, beef jerky, strawberries, and grapes. I also have hazelnut cream coffee! Yum!

I would write a list of tips, but Trish and Bethany have already written really great posts about the read-a-thon that include helpful tips and pointers. If you are a first timer, you really should check out their posts!

I am really REALLY excited, and every time I look at the sign ups, the list of participants and cheerleaders has grown! Hurray for Saturday!!!

15 Comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Haha! I LOVE that you spent quality time with your books. You've got some great books, but don't leave Farewell to Arms until the wee hours--might be like Cannery Row. :P

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh ya: Read-a-thon, read-a-thon, read-a-thon on Saturday!

Shelley said...

Great charity, great books, and yummy snacks! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I am excited about the read-a-thon, too!! You have some great books to choose from...and meeting friends at I-Hop is a great idea! Have fun and good luck!

DesLily said...

great list! I hope you enjoy every one of them!

Tiffany Norris said...

I heartily approve of your choices and your snacks! Consider me an unofficial cheerleader. :)

Darlene said...

You are much better prepared than me. I've got to pick up some snackies and get my books together. You've picked some good ones there. I'm listening to Interpreter of Maladies on audio right now and I like it.

Lisa said...

Nice list, I loved The History of Love. This is my first read-a-thon and it's all TRISH's fault!

Corinne said...

The History of Love was SO VERY GOOD. I hope you like it. Good luck with the read a thon!

Ana S. said...

I'm shopping for snacks later today :D I shall also get more coffee...you can't possibly have too much coffee! Good luck, Laura, and have fun :D

Krystal A. said...

I'll be a cheeleader this time - go Laura!

Vasilly said...

Your list looks great. Good luck tomorrow.

Anna said...

Your blog is ultra cute and you are making me want to do this with you! (except for the being tired part) I just wanted to say that you should read Redeeming Love soon if you don't get to it during your read-a-thon. Also, I finished Sweetsmoke and I liked it. Thanks for letting me borrow it. Do you have "The Glass Castle"? Would you mind bringing it when you come in May...and any others that you think I would like? It's nice to have an undetermined amount of time to finish a book, as opposed to a library due date looming. I'm reading alot right now...but I'm not going to tell you what because I'm embarassed. Also, I have a pile of "to read" books but I really like that because then there is variety and I don't freak out that there's nothing good to read:) And, one more thing...how did you make your blog so cute? David's is blah and the template I've found are also blah.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

How is your reading going?? Keep it up girl!! :) YAY for you.

Michelle said...

That looks like a great list. Good luck with your reading goals, I know you can accomplish them just fine. Have a great time at the IHOP!