Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Challenge, a Read-a-Thon and random thoughts (oh my!)

The last last few months, I have become a not-so-great blogger. I haven't been posting very frequently, I haven't been commenting on others' blogs very often, and I've been skimming posts far more than actually reading every word. While this makes me feel a little guilty, the reason for this is that I've been spending lots of quality time with my husband (who was away from home for 2 years for work) and my friends and family. Like everyone else out there, I can't seem to find enough time to do all the things I want to do. So, the area that I'm spending less time on than I would like is blogging. However, I am still reading books, I am still reading blogs, and I am trying to comment when I have something to say. Though I have become a bit of a lurker, it's only because I'm trying not to spend too much time on the computer, but I'm still here, and I still enjoy the blogging community!!



I knew that with my husband back home, I wouldn't have as much time for reading and blogging as I did last year, so I decided not to join any challenges this year. I accidentally joined too many last year, then I felt really bad when I didn't complete all of them. However, I HAVE to join Trish's Classics Challenge for 3 reasons: 1. Trish is awesome. 2. I LOVE the button that Nymeth created. 3. I need a little extra push to read classics. Since this is already a long post, I'm not going to include the rules for the challenge, and if you are interested, please visit the challenge blog. The following is my list for the "classics snack" option:



1. My Antonia by Willa Cather

2. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

3. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

(Possible alternates: Oliver Twist and The Age of Innocence)

Bonus Future Classic: Empire Falls or The Joy Luck Club

Lastly, I was VERY excited to hear that the exciting 24-hour Read-a-thon event is going to be April 18-19th. Dewey started the read-a-thon, and I think it is wonderful that others are continuing this event. I had tons of fun participating in October 2008, and I'm really looking forward to getting involved again in April!

8 Comments:

Ana S. said...

Don't feel guilty for lurking, Laura! We all understand. I think it's actually a good thing to have life get in the way of blogging sometimes :P

Thanks for the kind words about the button :D And I'm so happy you're joining the read-a-thon!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Read-a-thon, read-a-thon, read-a-thon at lunch. Or something. :) I'm glad you're joining, even if you are breaking your no-challenge rule. And I have to agree that Nymeth's button is fantastic and hard to turn down! And I'm already looking forward to our wee hour IHOP read-a-thon meeting. Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity!!

Karen said...

It sounds like you have lots of wonderful things to concentrate on in your life at the moment Laura - we know you are still here with us in the blogging world in some capacity!

Darlene said...

I'm glad you're joining the Classics Challenge Laura. I'll be reading Jane Eyre too. I'm also going to do the Read-a-Thon this year. It seemed like so much fun last year and what's better than reading for as long as you possibly can. As for lurking, hey it's ok. Time with family is a precious thing.

Michelle said...

Wow, two years. What a long time. Your list looks great for the classics challenge. Good luck!

Literary Feline said...

I haven't been able to get around on the internet as much as I might like recently either, Laura. Sometimes we have to sacrifice something, and when it comes to spending time with your husband--I can definitely see why you'd select him over commenting on every blog you visit. :-)

Good luck with the Classics Challenge. I couldn't resist joining in on that one either this year.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I'm so tempted to do the 24 read-a-thon, but with two young children at home it might not be worth staying up all night long! - Stephanie

Bookfool said...

Oh, oh, oh! My Antonia and The Age of Innocence are two of my old favorites. I hope you read them! I want to hear your thoughts. :)