Monday, April 7, 2008

2008 Non Fiction Five Challenge



Joy at Thoughts of Joy, the host of this challenge says,

After months and months of reading mysteries, short stories, thrillers, adventures, fantasies, romance novels, etc., it's time to start planning for a reality check! Reality in the form of
NON-FICTION reading. Come on in and join the fun!


1. Read 5 non-fiction books during the months of May - September, 2008 (please link your reviews on Mister Linky)
2. Read at least one non-fiction book that is different from your other choices (i.e.: 4 memoirs and 1 self-help)



This should be a true challenge for me, as I very rarely pick up non-fiction to read. I'm pretty sure the last few times I've tried, I've gotten a few chapters in, then decided to set it aside and read something else.



My list is--

1. Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality

2. Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt

3. The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison

4. Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

5. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

3 Comments:

Joy said...

First, welcome to the Blogosphere, Laura! It becomes very addicting, so be forewarned. :)

Secondly, welcome to the Non-Fiction Five Challenge! You've got a great list there. I've read #4 and #5 - with #5 being a best read for me. I hope you enjoy all your choices and don't forget to come back and link your reviews beginning in May.

Happy Reading!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I hope you like Devil in the White City--lots of interesting tidbits about the Chicago World Fair and things that were introduced there. Larson does a great job of weaving the two stories together.

Holly said...

I LOVED Devil in the White City. It was so interesting to learn about the things that originated at that World's Fair. And the story is intriguing. It is such a fast easy read for nonfiction. Your other books sounds interesting as well. Welcome to book blogging! :-)