Monday, August 25, 2008

RIP III Challenge


Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting the RIP III Challenge. This challenge runs from September 1- October 31.

(from the challenge post):

Mystery.Suspense.Thriller.Dark Fantasy.Gothic.Horror.Supernatural.

There is just something about this time of year, when the ghosts of past Autumns and the Autumn to come chase away the dog days of summer, that entices one to read books that fit into the above categories.
It was a desire share the love of eerie, creepy, things-that-go-bump-in-the-night literature that brought me into the online reading challenge game for the first time back in September of 2006. My goals today, in this its third iteration, are no different than the inaugural R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

It is that simple. Read on.


I am choosing Peril the Second, which says "Read Two books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose." Instead of having a pre-set list of books I have to read, Carl suggests posting a pool of books to choose from. This will also give other participants some ideas of what to read. I will choose two books from the following:


Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Spiritualist by Megan Chance

12 Comments:

Becky said...

I look forward to reading your reviews. You've got some great books on your list. I really enjoyed The Historian and Rebecca last year.

DesLily said...

oh boy.. the Spiritualist is showing up on many lists! I have to check that one out! I have Rebecca and the Historian on my list also.. if I get to them lol

Carl V. Anderson said...

The Spiritualist is showing up on a bunch of lists! I may have to pick that up soon! Can't wait for reviews. I am so glad you are joining in even if this isn't the genre you love best. I am honored and so very appreciative. Thank you!

Tiffany Norris said...

Oh how fun! I just cannot do another challenge right now, but I'm tempted! I'll just have to read vicariously through you!

Lightheaded said...

Wow, we both have Rebecca on our pool! I think I forgot to include The Woman in White in mine :( This is a splendid list! I've read and adored The Historian and The Dante Club previously.

Have fun with the challenge!

Laura said...

Becky-I've really been looking forward to both of those books, and joining the challenge will now "force" me to read them sooner rather than later!

Deslily-I don't really know anything about The Spiritualist, but I received an ARC in the mail the other day. It'll be interesting to see what other people think about it!

Carl-I've heard this is a super fun challenge and that you are a great host, so how could I not join! :)

Tiffany-I wasn't going to join any more challenges this year, but I think I can cram in 2 more books! Sometimes I just can't help it...

Lightheaded-I actually have Rebecca on another list as well, so even if I don't read it for this challenge, I will be reading it soon! I've heard really good things about The Historian too--I just hope it isn't too scary!

Ana S. said...

Lovely choices :) I look forward to comparing notes on The Historian and Rebecca.

Stephanie said...

Rebecca is a great book. Creepy and Gothic and totally fits the bill for this challenge! Can't wait to read all your reviews!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Sucker!! :P Just kidding. Actually, when I saw my email yesterday for the challenge, I immediately thought about you and how you have to read The Historian!! I'll probably cave as well...because I'm also a sucker. :)

Quixotical said...

Love your choices. As Carl says, The Spiritualist seems to be popping up on a lot of people's lists. Will have to add that one to my wishlist I think!

Rebecca is a brilliant book, and The Historian was a favourite from last year. Hope you enjoy!

(blogger account links to a back up blog so my actual blog is - http://blog.quixoticmiss.com )

Anonymous said...

Good picks, I look forward to reading your reviews. I can't wait to get started on my picks.

Literary Feline said...

Good luck with the challenge! I hope you enjoy The Historian. I know some people find it long winded and anticlimactic, but I really enjoyed it.

I haven't read any of the other books you list, but I do want to! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the book as you finish them.