Monday, August 4, 2008

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos


Marisa de los Santos' first novel, Love Walked In, is a unique story about love and family. Each chapter alternates between Cornelia, a woman in her early 30s who loves old romantic films and is the manager of a local coffee shop in Philadelpia, and Clare, a girl of 11 who barely knows her father, and who's mother is in a mental downward spiral. While Cornelia narrates her own portions, a third person narrator tells Clare's story.

Cornelia and Clare are both strong female characters who both ache for someone to fill a particular void in their lives. Cornelia longs for a child of her own, and Clare (while she loves her mother), needs a strong parental figure to take care of and understand her. When they meet, they both recognize a kindred spirit, even though there is a 20 year age gap. This friendship enables them to get through several difficult circumstances and heartaches and helps both of them find a place where they feel they are loved and needed.

Although I found last 1/3 of the novel to be a bit too neatly wrapped, overall this was an enjoyable read. Cornelia was far less shallow and annoying than many other women in chick-lit-types of books that I have read. De los Santos has written another book, Belong to Me, and while I'm not running out to the nearest bookstore to purchase it, I would definitely consider reading it when I'm looking for something light and entertaining.

Date completed: July 29, 2008
Number of pages: 307

Read Natasha's review at Maw Books Blog

4 Comments:

Laura H said...

Well its official I am the only person in this universe that didnt like this book. Maybe I need to re-read it. I finished the book but just didnt like it.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm not a big fan of neatly wrapped up either--but sometimes it seems like authors go out of their way to make a mess of the ending (depressing!) so that it doesn't get neatly wrapped up. Sounds like a good vacation book!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Ohhh...Remind me tomorrow that I have something I want to tell you (it is NOT important).

Laura said...

~Laura--I felt the same way about the last book I read! It's ok to be different from the crowd (although I always feel like I missed something somewhere)! :)

~Trish--I MUCH prefer a neatly wrapped ending to a really random one that leaves you hanging! It was the perfect vacation book! You can borrow it if you ever want to!