Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Classics Challenge 2008

Trish of Trish's Reading Nook is hosting the Classics Challenge 2008. The challenge runs from July-December 2008.


Classics: We love them, we hate them, now we are going to challenge ourselves to reading more of them. Because there are so many different types of classics, different genres are acceptable and encouraged--for example, novels, short story collections, non-fiction, poetry, essays--I'm open for other suggestions!


OPTION 1: Read FIVE classics.

OPTION 2: Read FIVE classics from at least THREE different countries

OPTION 3: Read FIVE classics with any combination of at least THREE different countries and TWO different genres (see above for genres).


Trish has added a little twist...participants must read five books (as defined in the options above), and a sixth title which will be a "modern classic" chosen from a participant's list of suggestions. There are a ton of great suggestions listed on the challenge blog! To join the fun, click here!

My list (which is by no means set in stone at this point!):

1. David Copperfield--Charles Dickens

2. Mrs. Dalloway--Virginia Woolf

3. Persuasion--Jane Austen

4. The Scarlet Pimpernel--Emmuska Orczy

5. Uncle Tom's Cabin--Harriet Beecher Stowe

Bonus--The Known World--Edward P. Jones


5 Comments:

Nise' said...

Persuasion gets better and better each time I read it. Thought I would never like it as much as P&P, but I do!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Great list! I'll be interested in what you think of Mrs. Dalloway. I haven't made my list yet because I can't choose! I guess I'll need to do that soon.

Tiffany Norris said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is awesome, and I will definitely be returning.
Cool that you live in Dallas. We just moved to Fort Worth in August and love it.
Meanwhile, Persuasion and Mrs. Dalloway are two of my all-time favorites. Happy reading!

CJ said...

You and I are both reading The Scarlet Pimpernel. I like the rest of your list, too.

I'm thinking someone should put a master list together of what everyone is reading. It would be a heck of a TBR list...

cjh

Ana S. said...

I finished The Known World yesterday, and what an amazing book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.