Friday, May 16, 2008

random Friday thoughts about cats

Disclaimer: After reading this, you might think I'm crazy. You might not be completely off base in thinking this.

What is it about booklovers and cats? I have always liked cats (well, most of them), and it is slightly humorous to see how many other people out there who love reading also love cats! Maybe it is because there is nothing more enjoyable than curling up with a good book with a soft purring cat cuddled up next to you. I know there are lots of dog lovers out there as well who enjoy reading as well, but maybe I've noticed the cat people more because though I just like animals in general, cats have a special place in my heart.

Isn't it cool how cats can sit in a certain way so it looks like they have absolutely no feet or tail? They just tuck everything under their bodies somehow--I kinda wish I could sit like that. Here's a picture in case you have no earthly idea what I'm talking about.



Though I only have one cat, I could definitely become a "crazy cat lady." My husband and I have spent quite a bit of time apart, due to the line of work he is in, and sometimes I think that if I didn't have Pumpkin, my life would be much more bland. I love that she is all excited to see me when I come home from work. She is always waiting at the door, and she immediately starts purring before I even pet her.

My mom coined the term "furry purry" when I was in middle school, and I think that is just such a great name for nice cats. More recently, I've heard pets referred to as "fur babies" and that is never NOT funny to me. Even when I was typing it, I giggled just a little.

Even though it can be annoying, frequently at about 3am, I am awakened by Pumpkin sitting with her face approximately 1 inch from mine, purring and meowing because she wants attention. After a few pats, she usually will lie back down and go to sleep, but sometimes, she will do the same thing about 1 hour later.

Ok...I think that's about it for now. I'm off to read some more of The Handmaid's Tale, and I'm sure it is only a matter of time before my furry purry is in my lap, trying to sneak some popcorn.

6 Comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Crazy Lady! You know, I was thinking about that cat pose yesterday--Maggie does that as well, but you can still see her front paws (when she doesn't have them crossed under her) so she looks like a chicken laying eggs. I miss sleeping with my cat, but it is nice not having the cat hair--maggie sheds A LOT.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts--and the giggles. :)

Oh, and Becky is hosting *another* challenge that I don't think I'll be able to resist. Urg!!!!

Roberta said...

I love Pumpkin in the "meatloaf pose" in the photo! Yes, cats and books are a natural combination! Agree.

Laura said...

~Trish--Yes, the cat hair can be a bit irritating, but luckily, Pumpkin doesn't shed too much. I think we might have to hold an intervention soon if you keep signing up for more challenges!

~Roberta--Thanks for visiting! It's always nice to know there are other "cat ladies" out there. I like the term "meatloaf pose." I always say she looks like an egg!

Karen said...

I definitely have found the book/cat connection too. Although I think my fluffy boy (Ewok) would prefer it if I spent more time paying attention to and feeding him and less time reading!

twiga92 said...

Yes, yes, I'm a crazy cat lady myself. We have 2 - Mocha and Storm - and they are quite the "furry purries". They love to curl up on me when I'm reading and they greet us at the door when we come home from work. My kitties add so much to my life!

Laura said...

~Karen--I love the name of your cat! Yes, my cat is a bit needy and if I don't pay her enough attention, she will eventually force me to pet her by rubbing her head on my hand until I get the hint.

~Twiga--It is difficult to imagine life without cuddly cats!