Monday, May 5, 2008

I'm Up for the Challenge(s)...I think

Since I've only joined 2 challenges since I started blogging a month ago, I realize this is an unacceptably low number. Though I'm a little nervous that I'll be in over my head, I've decided to join not one, not two, but three more!




Maggie from Maggie Reads is hosting The Southern Reading Challenge.

The rules are easy: 3 Southern Setting Books by Southern Authors in 3 Months beginning May 15 through August 15!

My choices are:

1. Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes

2. Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

3. Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg


Michelle from 1 More Chapter is hosting the 1% Well-Read Challenge.

The goal of this challenge is to read 10 books in 10 months from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. For you non-math people, 10 out of 1001 is approximately 1%, hence the title. The challenge will run from May 1, 2008 through February 28, 2009.
You may change your list at any time and cross-posting to other challenges is permitted. The only requirement is that your ten book choices must be on the ‘1001 List‘. Another helpful tool is an Excel spreadsheet by Arukiyoma that is found here.


While my choices are not set in stone, here is a rough list of what I think I will read:

1. Mrs. Dalloway-Virginia Woolf

2. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

3. David Copperfield-Charles Dickens

4. Uncle Tom's Cabin-Harriet Beecher Stowe

5. The Time Machine-H.G. Wells

6. The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time-Mark Haddon

7. The Poisonwood Bible-Barbara Kingsolver

8. Rebecca-Daphne du Maurier

9. The Handmaid's Tale-Margaret Atwood

10. Cannery Row-John Steinbeck






Trish at Trish's Reading Nook is hosting the Classics Challenge 2008 that will run from July 1- December 31, 2008. There are three different options for this challenge:

OPTION 1: Read FIVE classics.
OPTION 2: Read FIVE classics from at least THREE different countries
OPTION 3: Read FIVE classics with any combination of at least THREE different countries and TWO different genres (see above for genres).



Trish has added a little twist...participants must read five books (as defined in the options above), and a sixth title which will be a "modern classic" chosen from a participant's list of suggestions.



In early June, Trish will have a Mr. Linky to sign up for the challenge officially. I for sure am going to participate in this challenge, but I haven't finalized my list yet.


Whew! I have a TON of reading to get started on! I think I'm going to need to start visiting the library more frequently than the bookstore, or else I will need to buy a new bookshelf! I'm off to read!

4 Comments:

maggie moran said...

Excellent Choices! I look forward to getting to know you through you southern reading! :D

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Welcome to the "in over your head" group! I think I'm going to have to do the 1% well-read challenge as well--my dad and Beth gave me this book two years ago from Christmas. If I remember--and if you're interested, I'll bring it up sometime. I really liked The Curious Incident, although it is very different. I'd let you borrow it--but it is one of the ones I loaned out never to get back. Urg! :)

Stephanie said...

Very Cool! Glad to see I'm not the only one doing all these challenges! I've read 3 of your 10. I'm personally not a fan of the Poisonwood Bible, but most people loved it. Rebecca and Handmaid's Tale were both excellent though!

1morechapter said...

Glad to have you on the 1% challenge!

Michelle
1morechapter.com