Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weekly Geeks #3--Childhood Books



This week’s theme comes from Samantha, who suggested that one week we all write about our fond memories of childhood books.




Like many others who have already posted, I spent the majority of my childhood reading. Though my sisters and brother were always outside playing, you could usually find me in my room with a book. I think there were 2 major factors in this development--1. My mom read to us every night for years. I used to look forward to that time, and I remember fighting over who got to actually sit next to my mom to see the pictures better (there are 4 "kids" in my family, so only 2 got to sit in the "good" seats!) 2. We did not have a TV for about a year and a half, so instead of coming home from school and watching TV, I just read for pretty much the entire evening. Anyways...on to the books I specifically remember...


The Little House on the Prairie series is probably my number 1 favorite childhood series. My mom read them once, but I read the whole series at least 3 more times by myself. One of our family vacations was to Missouri to visit the home where Laura and Almanzo lived.


Another favorite series was The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is my favorite, and more than once, I felt all the walls in my closet, hoping I would find myself in Narnia. I recently re-read these, and I still loved them. I am really excited about seeing Prince Caspian soon!


I read many Nancy Drew books--probably close to the entire series. I tried to read a Hardy Boys book once, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Again, a large series I read more than once were the Mandie books by Lois Gladys Leppard. They were mysteries, and I never got tired of reading them!

E.B. White was a favorite author of mine, but the best book in my opinion, is not Charlotte's Web, or Stuart Little. The Trumpet of the Swan doesn't get enough attention! It is a story of a swan named Louis who does not have a voice, so he learns to play the trumpet in order to communicate. It really is a great book, and it seems that many who have read or seen the movies of the other two books have never heard of this one. I would highly recommend it!


Lastly, I'll just list other favorites--Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare (a young girl is kidnapped by Indians in 1754); The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi ("A spellbinding tale of intrigue and murder on the high seas"). Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (15-year old Sarah survives alone during the Revolutionary War).


I could go on for quite a while. Digging out my childhood books makes me want to sit down and read some of them right now! I wish I had as much time to read now as I used to. I also don't find myself getting lost in the stories as much as when I was younger. Ahhh...growing up is so hard to do...




4 Comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Hi Laura - I'm glad there's another Mandie lover out there! To be honest, it took me a while to remember the names of the books ... all I could think of was "SOMEBODY and the Secret Passage". LOL Both my sister and I loved those books and read them over and over again!

Katherine said...

Another Little House reader! We should start a club.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I can't remember a whole lot of what I read in my childhood, but I do remember reading Nancy Drew--oh, and Babysitter's Club! I really wanted to start a babysitting club with my friends but didn't have any takers. :) I really need to read Narnia sometime.

Maw Books said...

What I want to know is who didn't read Little House on the Praire!? Love it! I want to reread these some day.