Sunday, May 18, 2008

Classics Meme

In preparation for her Classics Challenge 2008, Trish has started a classics meme. What better way to start thinking about great literature?

1. My favorite classic is either Little Women or Great Expectations. I have read both several times, and have loved them more with each read. I have read a couple of other books by Louisa May Alcott (Eight Cousins, An Old-Fashioned Girl), and I'm planning to read Dickens' David Copperfield for the challenge.

2. The classic I had the toughest time finishing is The Iliad. This was a required book for my high school English class, and I had to buy Cliff's Notes for the first time to help me get through it.

3. I would recommend The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or Tom Sawyer to someone who doesn't read a lot of classics or who doesn't generally like classics because neither one is super long, and they are fun and you don't need sparknotes or other reference materials to understand the books.

4. To me, a classic book is a book that can be appreciated many years down the road and by many different types of people.

5. The type of relationship I have with classics is I am somewhat intimidated. I've read many classics throughout high school and college, but very few since then. I usually enjoy them, and after reading them, I totally understand why they are considered a "classic." However, the thought of picking one up just for fun tends to scare me a bit. That is what makes signing up for Trish's challenge such a good idea!

What are your thoughts on classics?

4 Comments:

Literary Feline said...

I read The Odyssey many years ago and really liked it, but I have yet to try reading The Illiad. I haven't read either of your favorites, sad to say.

Good recommendations to people who aren't too fond of classics! Both of those books would probably make my recommended list too.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh I struggled with Little Women last summer! The second half of the book was much better, though. I really liked GE the second time around. I'm thinking about reading some Twain for the challenge--there are just so many, though, that I want to read!

Bookfool said...

I loved Little Women and Great Expectations, too. Twain is actually one of the authors I find most intimidating because of his use of the vernacular, although I adore his nonfiction.

Ana S. said...

Tom Saywer and Huckleberry Finn are great recommendations! They're among my favourite classics.