Saturday, October 18, 2008

Let the Read-a-thon begin!




I'm so happy the read-a-thon is here! I have been looking forward to this for weeks! Unfortunately, I am not at my own house this weekend. I am in San Antonio, at the apartment my husband has been living in for the last 13 months as he is working on a construction project (that is FINALLY almost over!). So...I could only bring a limited number of books, since I just bring one carry-on on the flight from Dallas to San Antonio. Hopefully, I made good selections! You might also notice that I have instant coffee. Not my first choice, but dear hubby isn't a coffee drinker, so he doesn't have a coffee maker--instant coffee will have to do! When I was spreading out my books and snacks for the above pictures, my husband was getting ready to leave for work and he looked at me and the table, then he patted me on the head and said with a smile, "Yep, I married a weirdo!" Anyways...since I don't see him during the week and the only time we can spend together is during the weekends, I will be taking a break from the read-a-thon this evening when he is home from work. I still have all day and lots of the night though! I'm off to a bit of a late start since it is almost a full hour into it, but I had to get organized and do my first post!


Where are you reading from today? See above pictures...I'll start with Rebecca, since I'm well into it already. The other books I plan to read are Cannery Row, Anatomy of a Boyfriend (YA), The Scarlet Pimpernel and The Historian.

3 facts about me …
1. I've never lived in any other state besides Texas.
2. I'm left handed for some activities (writing, eating), but right handed for everything else.
3. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and love pretty much all baked goods--cookies, cake, brownies...

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
5

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
hmmm...I would like to finish Rebecca, and 2 other books

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time?
This is my first time, so no advice! I like hearing tips from veterans though!

7 Comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

Happy Reading, Laura!

Ana S. said...

Ooooh, those are some great books. Have fun, Laura!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Only TWO diet cokes?? :) We hit up Market Street last night and I have more food than I know what to do with. Wish you were here to help me eat! Always thinking about food...

I'm so excited you are doing this with me!! And good luck with the reading!

alisonwonderland said...

i wish i had some gummy bears to go with my diet coke! i just may have to see if my 17yo will make a snack run for me later. :)

last year during the read-a-thon, i read some of The Historian. it is a fabulous book, and i think you'll enjoy it a lot. i did find that it was requiring a lot of thought-processing and, subsequently, was slow going for me. i switched to a YA novel before too long. i think Anatomy of a Boyfriend (which i read a month or so ago) will be a good read-a-thon read. enjoy!

Dewey said...

My husband caught me photographing my books and coffee, and he seemed pretty amused, too. But he's making me pancakes now, so I forgive him.

Darlene said...

Hey Laura, congrats for participating. I'm just blog hopping to all my buddies and offering encouragement. You have some good books lined up there-I can't wait for your thoughts on Rebecca and The Historian. I have a major sweet tooth too-I wish I didn't. Good luck and I'll be back. Happy Reading.

Lisa said...

Some how I missed that you live away from your husband. Such dedication to do the read a thon anyway!