Sunday, October 19, 2008

Read-a-thon: End of the Event

Well, the Read-a-thon is over. It has actually been over four 4 hours. With about an hour and a half left, I got too frustrated and I went to bed. Nothing could hold my attention, which I understand, after reading for 22 + hours. I tried reading short stories on the internet, but that was even worse than the 2 books I had! I was very torn between trying to stick it out and just going to bed. After I went to bed, I couldn't go to sleep because I was thinking about how I could have made it the whole 24 hours! Anyways...I tend to obsess sometimes! I am really glad I participated this time. It was so much fun knowing lots of other people out there were reading at crazy times in the night. Thank you to everyone who stopped and left a comment! And thank you so much to the organizers of the read-a-thon! What a lot of work it must have been, but what fun it was to participate!! :)

My totals:
Total number of pages read:823
Total time spent reading: 825 minutes (13.75 hours)
Number of books completed: I completed 3, but I was almost half way through one of them when the event started. I now am partway through 2 more.

End of the Event Survey
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? hour 23--I couldn't concentrate on anything!
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Rebecca was really great!
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? I am just so impressed with the organization and the hard work of the hosts! The only suggestion I have would be to have a list of the mini-challenges ahead of time, so we know which ones we want to participate in a what time they start and end.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? all the main posting on Dewey's blog...It was nice to have one source for everything.
5. How many books did you read? I read 2 entire books, and parts of 3 books
6. What were the names of the books you read? Rebecca, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Anatomy of a Boyfriend, Cannery Row, The Historian
7. Which book did you enjoy most? Rebecca and The Scarlet Pimpernal
8. Which did you enjoy least? Anatomy of a Boyfriend, although Cannery Row was a TERRIBLE choice to be reading in the wee hours of the morning when I was tired.
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? n/a
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I would definitely consider participating again next time as a reader!

10 Comments:

alisonwonderland said...

well done! (i ended up sleeping off the last two hours of the event too.)

Ana S. said...

Don't worry about not making it the whole 24 hours, Laura...you did great!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I am so thrilled that you were able to read this time (and that I was able to do it with you). Your comments were such great motivation and made me laugh. :)

You did a great job!! Did you have any idea you would be able to read that much? I still can't believe that we both read over 800 pages--doesn't that seem crazy!!

Anyway, get some rest today. And congrats on making it so far! I crashed in bed but had bad dreams about making my hourly updates and trying to keep track of page numbers...blah!

gautami tripathy said...

My advice is to set aside graphic novels for the difficult hours!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Congrats! I really want to read Anatomy of a Boyfriend.

Hopefully I can participate next time. It sounded like it was very fun!


Lauren

Wendy said...

Congratulations, Laura - You did AWESOME! WOW...Don't feel bad about not making it the whole time. I made it through hour 20 and then crashed.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Wow you did a fantastic job!

Melody said...

Way to go, Laura!
I wish I participated... but I guess I'd not do so well like what you ladies did, haha!

Darlene said...

Hey Laura, I'll enter you for both books for the Michelle Moran giveaway. You didn't have to pick-that's only for those who may have read one of them already. Good luck.

Tamara said...

Laura, Well done! I'm very impressed with the commitment. I've tagged you for the Kreativ Blogger award for such a commitment to books. See why at my blogspot. Keep up the amazing stuff.